Re: [orca-list] Feature request: Orca should have a hotkey to change speech language.

Hey Fernando.

On 12/29/2012 08:54 AM, Fernando Botelho wrote:
This is fantastic! Changing languages by changing profiles has the added
benefit that if you are learning a new language, the profile for that
language can speak at a slower rate, etc.

Exactly. Not that my ability to understand oral Spanish is vastly
inferior to my ability to understand oral English. (She says trying to
look convincing, and suspecting she is failing to do so.) <grins> In my
defense, all of my Spanish colleagues are proficient in English.

Anyhoo.... Jokes aside, this approach also means you can switch braille
tables. Contracted literary English braille just doesn't make sense for
non-English text. It also means that you could, as some users have asked
for, create a "Say All" profile with a more human-sounding voice so
reading long documents is less grating on the ears.

And having slept on the problem of the messages and module reloading, I
think I have a simple enough idea that will solve the issue so
Orca-specific messages (profile is foo, capitalization style is bar,
punctuation level is baz, etc.) will be spoken and brailled in the
correct language when one uses this new feature to switch amongst profiles.

Good times ahead. <smile>

Take care.
--joanie