From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Jason White
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 1:45 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] links list

Alex Midence <alex midence gmail com> wrote:

On 12/6/12, Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:
On the other hand, I use searching heavily (including the ' key
which searches only for links).

Searching takes a lot of typing.

Incremental searching, i.e., moving the focus to matches as each character
is typed, requires much less typing, and that's how I would handle your
scenario (which I haven't quoted here for the sake of brevity).

I would also use heading navigation and the usual tab sequence, but I think
being able to search for words incrementally, matching only links, is the
real efficiency gain.

If headings and other structural components weren't specified in proper HTML
then I would either get that fixed or obtain a script that would
automatically apply Aria roles to the relevant elements on the page.
Google's Axsjax tool is a good example of what I mean. I think there's scope
for a crowd-sourced solution that would let users and volunteers create
scripts that improve the accessibility of Web pages and applications. I
don't know to what extent the scripting can be automated. For example, it
might be possible to write it so that in many cases, a user can just mark
text as, say, a heading, and the tool will try to generate rules to match it
later on. The general point is that there is plenty of scope for
browser-based solutions that transform and add Aria to Web pages and we'll
probably see more of them over time. These scripts can also add access keys
and transform the page in other ways.

I can also envisage service providers doing scripting on behalf of clients.
If I were working with a complex Web application heavily then it would be
worth getting the scripting done to improve efficiency still further, but my
fundamental suggestion is that I don't see a need for a list of links in
your scenario as described - I might be missing something important however.