Re: [orca-list] What meaning following commits into master branch?

Hey Attila.

I had a feeling I would be hearing from you. <smiles>

On 12/01/2012 08:03 AM, Hammer Attila wrote:

But, when need activating an old element (for
example activate help, present Orca's about dialog), need a solution.

Indeed. I had been thinking about that and I just came up with (and
committed) one which I like. Now, if you press Orca + H to enter Learn
Mode you hear a new prompt and have a new way to view help.

For the sake of completeness, the old prompt was: "Entering learn mode.
 Press any key to hear its function. To exit learn mode, press the
escape key."

The new prompt is: "Entering learn mode.  Press any key to hear its
function.  To get a list of Orca shortcuts, press the Orca modifier
plus H twice quickly. To view the documentation, press F1. To exit learn
mode, press the escape key."

Yeah, it's a bit wordy, but it is interruptable for those who already
know that, for instance, they can press F1 to get Orca's documentation
in Yelp.

What I like about this is that all you need to know is Orca + H for all
your Orca help needs. No new GUI required, no need to get into the
Preferences dialog, uses a standard command for help, and no worries
about keyboard conflicts because you pressed F1 in some other
application with its own help.

This is possible doing if a keystroke presenting an "Orca" pop up menu,
with have following menu items:

I think this makes things unnecessary complicated. Moreover it falls
into the category of things we might be adding only to soon remove.

1. Preferences menu item (ALT+P): when this menu item are activated,
opening the normal Orca GUI preferences dialog.

Because this is going to become part of the control center in GNOME (and
hence Ubuntu). And hopefully other desktop environments.

2. About Orca menu item (ALT+A): When this menu item are active,
presenting Orca's about dialog if the about dialog related codes are not
removed.

First of all, the about dialog has already been removed. Secondly, what
is the About dialog good for really? It gives you the version (which you
can get via 'orca -v') and the copyrights. End users don't typically
care about copyrights. And many package managers include the copyright
info as part of the package for those that do care. The copyright info
itself is not removed and is thus still obtainable. So I see no need for
the About dialog.

3. Help menu item (ALT+H): If this menu item are activated, will be
presenting Orca's help page.

I have addressed this in the aforementioned commit.

4. Quit menu item (ALT+Q): when this menu tem activated, Orca QQuit,
equals with Orca modifier+Q keystroke.

A shortcut to turn Orca on/off is going to get moved into GNOME proper
(similar to what VoiceOver already has) and when it does, we won't need
Orca+Q.

If not, good the awailable
possibility, but need prowide possibility to beginner Orca users easyest
presenting help content without need activating the preferences dialog,

Agreed and done. And done without the need to know some "Orca menu"
keyboard shortcut.

I hope this addresses your concerns. And thanks for the feedback!
--joanie