Re: [orca-list] how to check if ubuntu 12.04 has detected your sound card with the gui?

Hi Trahern!
Again not sure with the gui, but, whereever you can read a file, you can look at:
/proc/asound/cards
It's a simple list of cards. If you see anything in there, there's a soundcard detected. You can also just try to open a mixer (alsamixergui). But not knowing, how this is organised, I'd suggested the ncurses (text-based) alsamixer. It's semi-graphical, in that it displays vertical bars - but also prints percentages of volumes underneath. Easily navigated with cursor right/left for movement from element to element and cursor up/down for changing settings (mostly voume). If a mixer opens and displays a card and the sliders, then everything should be OK.
  Warmly yours
         Julien

050e010d0f12010401-0405-0d09-030f12011a0f0d-
Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

********   Find some music at   ********
http://juliencoder.de/nama/music.html
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 95 and 37 days,
so I can be sure, there's someone at your site, who loves you."
(Not Winnie the Puh)