[orca-list] Getting sound in Debian testing

Has anybody been able to get sound from Orca in Debian testing (wheezy),
which I installed a few days ago?  The guy who looked at my screen yesterday
told me things that make me sure Orca was running.  In the console, I've
used "espeak hello" to determine that it's unlikely to be a problem with the
sound card (though I wish the volume was louder).  I'd guess that the
problem relates to pulseaudio, but my attempts to get it out of the way have
failed so far.

My impression is that pulseaudio is working in the latest versions of
Ubuntu; at least, I don't recall anybody here saying it doesn't.  If this is
true, does this mean, as I hope, that it contains something that should work
with Debian itself?

Thainks for any info or pointers to it.

Al