[orca-list] Improving Freedesktop Accessibility (was Re: Possibly Forking Gnome 2)

(I hope no one objects to the change in thread subject)

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:45 -0400, Thomas Ward wrote:

So getting QT and KDE accessible might be where my immediate help
could be needed. Do you know who I should contact on the KDE end of
things to help with their accessibility effort?

Frederik Gladhorn and Jeremy Paul Whiting on the kde-accessibility list.
They've done quite a bit already as part of 4.8 beta. List info is here:

As for Xfce, you know, I recently installed it and played around with
it on Ubuntu 11. Its so-so right now. Some things talk, but there is
also quite a bit that could be improved.

Did you build it all from XFCE's git master? If not, then my guess is
that there are some things that you do not have. In addition, there are
a number of issues that I've listed on their 4.10 accessibility planning
page which remain to be done. You can find more info here:
http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/accessibility

As you observed elsewhere in this thread, Orca is a GNOME project. And
while that doesn't dictate anything about what I cannot work on, it does
require that I put some things on hold (like working with the XFCE guys)
whilst I deal with GNOME-specific requirements (like the introspection
work). Fortunately the development cycles are not the same from project
to project, so while GNOME is ramping down and stabilizing, I can look
towards other areas. But, again, all of these areas could certainly use
your help -- and the help of others.

Take care. And thanks for hanging in there with us! <smile>
--joanie