Re: [orca-list] When I doing any Orca laptop binding command, capslock always turned on/off

Hi all,

On Fr, Mai 13 2011, Luke Yelavich wrote:

I am aware of this issue as well, and I think its X keyboard
related.

Yes, it is. I spent a coupple of hours last weekend to investigate this
issue and found the following:

If Orca is configured to use the laptop layout, it uses xmodmap -e
'clear Lock' to remove the caps-lock toggling functionality from the
caps-lock key. Xmodmap however seems to be considdered deprecated these
days and is no longer fully supported by xkb. In fact, xmodmap -e 'clear
Lock' doesn't work anymore starting with xkeyboard-config v2.1.

I was able to remove the caps-lock toggle from the caps key by dumping
my actual keyboard layout with xkbcomp, modifying the layout and loading
the modified layout, again with xkbcomp. This solution is rather uggly
however, as it doesn't seem to be possible to modify the existing
keyboard layout on the fly like it was possible with xmodmap, now the
whole keyboard layout needs to be replaced. At least I haven't found a
nicer solution yet.

I'll let you know if I make any progress.

cheers

  Henning