Re: [orca-list] Desktops other than gnome

Hi, Burt,

I've never used Knopix.  I've used Debian and Ubuntu but both through
the Vinux mods.  My last attempt to use an unmodified Ubuntu died
a-borning.  I hear Knopix uses an accessified version of LXDe whom
noone seems to know how to duplicate.

Now, I've not had the chance to use Unity but, I wonder since it's
heading towards the tablet pc market according to what I've read, I
wonder, I say, if some of the rather innovative ideas Android and
I-Phone have put in place might not be implemented in it.  For that
matter, I might say the smae of Gnome shell since it, too, is heavily
mouse dependent and making it accessible requires quite a bit of work
to make keyboard access possible.  I-Phone and, to a lesser extent
Android, both use gestures to really give someone a feel for the
layout of the screen.  I don't know why this couldn't be done with a
mouse.  Configure the mouse so that it only activates if buttons are
presed in conjunction with a keyboard press.  Control mouse click
activates something, regular mouse click reads something in more
detail.  Window boundaries could be indicated by special sounds like
buzzes, tones or beeps.  Mouse pointer could be made somewhat less
responsive so that it moves 1/3 the amount of pixels it normally would
giving you a chance to explore.  Widgets and buttons and things could
be indicated by special sounds too, tones for available ones and
buzzes for grayed out ones.  In the tablets or on laptops with gesture
pads, Android's brilliant a"haptic" feedback feature could be
duplicated to give tactile feedback as the user moves his finger
around on it.  To take a page from I-Phone, 1 finger lets you explore,
3 fingers lets you select.  I have no idea how much coding this would
take to implement but I don't understand why something like this
hasn't been considered or brought up.  It's as if thinking on how to
make something accessible has stagnated to an extent in non-mobile
software.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter,

Alex M