Re: [orca-list] Multiple soundcards

Andy B. <sonfire11 gmail com> wrote:
I have 2 soundcards. I want to use one for orca and the other one
for all other multimedia (music/movies/podcasts and so on). How
would I do this?

You would configure Orca to use one card and your media player to use the
other.

If you're using Alsa, there's a setting in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
to specify the default audio output device.

If you're using PulseAudio, I don't know where the setting is, but I'm sure
there is one.

Next, you'll need to set your media player to use the desired audio device. If
I remember rightly, Gnome has an option for this, as do the various tools that
play sound from your shell prompt.

Another option would be to write a ~/.asoundrc file to specify a particular
card as the default, then ensure that Orca/Speech-dispatcher doesn't use it.
Unfortunately, Gnome doesn't honour the ~/.asoundrc file, at least by default
for media playing on my system. On the other hand, I'm usually not in Gnome
when I play audio.

As is often true in Linux, there are different solutions depending on your
needs and preferences.