[orca-list] Ubuntu 7.04: orca fails to read most screens

I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.04 on a computer as the only OS. For some reason, I can’t get the accessible installer to come up with the boot loader menu so I have to run it from the desktop/terminal window. I also tried getting orca to come up by pressing f5, 3, ENTER, ENTER on the boot loader but can’t seem to get the timing right or something. Instead of having to restart the computer lots of times just to try it again, I just let the bootup go as the default and load orca from the run box. I hear the little tune after about 5 minutes and I wait another 2 or so until the dvd drive stops working. At this point, I have no clue where I am at. At this point here are my steps with notes on what happened.

1.      Press alt+f2 for the run box.

2.      Type “orca” and hit enter

3.      Wait for about 1 minute and orca appears in a terminal window wanting to do the initial setup.

4.      Go through its questions and get told at the end to logout and login again for changes to take affect (y/n)?

a.       Answer y the first time and orca quits and leaves me in limbo

b.      Answer n the next time and it quits and leaves me in the terminal window.

5.      Press alt+f2 again for the run box.

6.      Type “orca” and hit enter.

7.      If you answered y to logout/login again? After setup, orca appears leaving you in limbo. You can’t read anything at all although it seems like you can still change windows (just orca doesn’t read for some reason).

8.      If you answered n to logout/login again? Orca fails to start.

9.      Starting to get quite annoyed, I leave the dvd in and turn the computer off/on again.

10.  Repeat steps 1-10.

On occasion, I can get it to give me the expected preferences/desktop but when I:

1.      Type gnome-terminal in the run box and press enter, orca stops reading everything. It may be a question of does it actually unload? Or is it just not saying anything at all.

2.      Try to press insert+q to quit orca. This does nothing at all.

3.      Type sudo su and press enter in a terminal window with orca running. The command works as expected, but orca reads nothing.

4.      In the terminal window, type “orca –no-setup –disable main-window” and press enter. Orca loads and continues to not read anything at all. Not even control+alt+d to get to the desktop.

5.      Type “ubiquity” in the terminal window. The dvd spins forever with no resulting orca speech to read the installer.

6.      Try all these steps on a different computer with more memory. Same result.

Is there any way to fix this sort of problem? Was looking forward to trying Ubuntu (I need it for school too).