[orca-list] Orca Command Line Version Option

This may sound trivial, and certainly not high priority.  Is there a reason why the 'orca -v' command does not reliably return the correct version number on an Ubuntu system?  Typically, it will respond with the
gnome-orca version of a previously installed package.

Even stranger, it seems impossible to catch the version to a variable in a bash script, such as :

v=$(orca -v)
echo "orca version is $v"

 The variable v will contain nothing!  Redirecting stderr to stdout does not help.  How is this possible?

--

Don Marang
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org