Re: [orca-list] Question about installing Debian Squeeze

Portia <miss_portia34 gmx com> wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering, is there a way to install Debian Squeeze without
getting sighted help?

There are at least three options.

1. BRLTTY is included in the Debian installer by default, providing braille
access to the entire installation process.

2. There are Debian installer images available with Speakup included - this is
still under development.

3. You can boot a "live" distribution such as GRML (http://www.grml.org/)
which has both BRLTTY and Speakup, then install Debian using debootstrap or
scripts provided by the live distribution. I think GRML has scripts to
simplify the process; I just used Debootstrap when I installed Debian on a
virtual machine via this method.

I've used methods 1 and 3 successfully.

The debian-accessibility mailing list would be a more appropriate forum for
this discussion, since none of the above methods involves Orca - the Debian
installation process, by default, is not graphical.