Re: [orca-list] Problems installing orca on quite old system

Actually, it's not a workaround but the best solution. :)
About your question, the response is: I remember having iso-8859-2 set
and festival also stopping on polish characters.
I was never able to do anything with it, I was never able to force
festival to speak correctly.
And festival is a mess, and I'm not ever sure it's actually being
developed.
Espeak is simpler, but yeah, the voice can seem horrible.