Re: [orca-list] How accessible is Linux mint?

Hello, Trey.

I am currently using Linux Mint 11; I am not sure if I want to stay with Mint or not right now due to personal reasons.

The latest version of Linux Mint (version 12, codenamed "Lisa") uses the GNOME 3.2 desktop. It also has the option to run MATE, a fork of GNOME 2 (although I have no idea how accessible MATE is). GNOME 3/Shell (in my opinion) is as accessible in Mint as it is in other distros which run GNOME 3.

Mint uses a lot of the Ubuntu repositories for software installation and updates; it is, after all, a Ubuntu derivative. :)

As far as the installer goes, I do not know how accessible it is. It *may be* as accessible as the Ubuntu installer, but I have not tested it out.

As concerning the live CD/DVD ISO sizes:

-The live CD is about 634 MB in size
-the live DVD is 1 GB in size

I do not know about the DVD other than the fact that it comes with audio/video codecs pre-installed, but Orca does not come on the live CD; the live CD also does not include any codecs, although they are easily installable once the system is installed onto a hard drive. You can install Orca in a live Mint environment by doing the following:

NOTE: When entering any commands listed below, omit any quotation marks.

1. Press ALT+F2 to open the Run command box.
2. Type 'gnome-terminal' and hit ENTER to open a terminal window.
3. While in the terminal, type in the following command 'sudo apt-get install gnome-orca'.

You can go through the Orca setup by pressing ALT+F2 and typing in 'orca' and pressing the ENTER key.

Once the setup is complete, you will have to log out for any changes to take effect. To log back in again, use the username 'mint' and leave the password field blank.

I hope that this helps.