Re: [orca-list] my thoughts/decisions about orca

Hi Michael,

I have to agree with you on all points. Sadly it was not that long ago
I was actually considering using Linux full time and not bothering
with Windows or Mac. However, as you pointed out the three areas I use
most such as office, internet, and e-mail are problematic on Linux
with Orca which has forced me to seriously rethink my position on how
much I want to spend time using the OS when I can simply go back to
where accessibility is stable and I can actually use Firefox,
Thunderbird, and MS Office without the headaches associated with Gnome
3, LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. I hate to sound negative
here but but since Gnome 3.0/3.2 Orca and Gnome have become a desktop
environment I simply can not coexist with on a professional level and
get my work done and am stuck with using Gnome 2.32 for the moment as
its what I would consider the most accessible and stable desktop for a
VI user.

Speakup is of course the same as usual, and that would be fine if I
could write Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and other things via
the console, but I can't which I think is a serious problem for Linux
users. The demands of the professional world university, most
businesses, etc demand that documents be saved/submitted in
Microsoft's proprietary office formats, and if you don't have access
to Microsoft Office and the next best thing like LibreOffice isn't up
to par VI Linux users are screwed. I'd really like to see some of
these core desktop capabilities be addressed as soon as possible as
its a serious problem for anyone who uses Linux in a university or
business setting and depends on Orca for access.