Re: [orca-list] problems upgrading to 3.0 under arch linux

Hello,
Firstly are you using the orca package or are you using the orca-git package from AUR? As the orca-git package in AUR comes from master it will not work with gnome 3.0.

Also on the no speech thing, is it an orca or speech-dispatcher issue (IE. does spd-say work)? If speech-dispatcher works but not orca then try and capture the important output by launching the following from gnome-terminal:
orca 2>~/orca-error.txt
Now look in the file ~/orca-error.txt for error messages.

You may find an error about no xlib, if that is the case then install the python-xlib package. Also if that is the error please file a bug against the archlinux package (alternatively state that you had that issue to me and I will file the bug).

If you get other errors in the orca output then please report them back here (I probably encountered them but just cannot remember all issues).

If speech-dispatcher does not work then can you confirm whether sound is working? Do you get error messages in the speech-dispatcher log files? Also relating to your question on at-spi and at-spi2, at-spi shouldn't really be needed, however at-spi has been written in as a dependency for the archlinux package of brltty. You shouldn't get any crashes if at-spi were not to be installed and things should just work fine. When orca sends information to brltty, it uses the python bindings not at-spi. Also should you ever be using the at-spi driver of brltty, the archlinux package actually contains the at-spi2 driver for brltty (even though at-spi2 is not written as a dependency of the package).

Actually all this mess with the brltty package depending on at-spi is the cause for some of my bugs reported to archlinux. Please do feel free to add comments to those reports if you want this clearing up.

Michael Whapples