Re: [orca-list] [Fwd: Default button of Orca]

Hy Joanie and Alan,

Sorry first the long letter.
Following letter part only my openion, and perhaps containing some subjective comment parts. I not want this modification for downstream and upstream level, but perhaps my openion have because I looking translator and technical specific this downstream modification result. Of course if more beginner users would like this change, better doing this modification with upstream level to provide compatibility for distribution independent. If this is true, and more beginner people answering for example +1 this modification, I full agree this change, but only upstream level to provide compatibility with distributions independent. Personaly, I better prefer please don't do this for Ubuntu releases gnome-orca package and upstream level if this is possible, if more people not want this change.

For example, I very like the traditional since years used method. Look beginner user perspective this question: One way to presenting help topics for Orca to beginner user press three TAB key and Space key to activate the help button. Another easyest way, beginner user press One Shift+TAB key combination and press a space or enter key to presenting help topics for orca Best simplest way to presenting help topics for orca: If the user press F1 key, Yelp will be presenting Orca help page, I tryed. F1 key for presenting help page for an application is a general usable command if an user don't known how can possible using an application. This is general for Windows and GNOME desktop environment, in Orca absolute sure working this possibility, of course I tested (now only master branch Orca version).

Look what interesting problems will be resulting perhaps this little downstream modification if happening for example only Ubuntu gnome-orca package, for example if Alan put this modification for a patch with debian/patches directory with source package: Downstream patching the gnome-orca package is the bad fix way for this problem if more beginner users real would like this change.
Why I say this?
For example, in Orca help page Joanie wrote already what main buttons are have in Orca main window, but for example want future put a paragraph for help documentation the main window default button is Preferences button. Translators of course translating future Orca help page for l10n.gnome.org the new paragraph with master branch, similar with prewious 3.0 release. No problem, only now have Orca level maintenanced the help documentation, so now need doing one time this work, and if not happening distribution dependent modifications for main window, the documentation is distribution independent compatible. Now, Orca help page documentation editing and translation is happening with centralized way, this is absolute good. If Ubuntu downstream level accepted this patch, and want documenting this change for Orca help page, need changing Ubuntu level the Orca help page documentation with Joanie wrote documentation part (replace the proper paragraph with help page the default button), but translators need translating this changed help page part for Launchpad.net website. If possible please don't do this way the modification, please don't difficulting for Orca translators work this downstream way modification. Better the upstream fix if more beginner users want this possibility and keep central translating and maintenancing the documentation. Little off topic, but this similar problem doed now for Ubuntu documentation team to begin forking new Ubuntu documentation with Unity, with based of GNOME3 user documentation (GNOME3 user documentation based with GNOME Shell). Now, documentation translators perhaps need translating future two documentations, one for GNOME3 user documentation with distribution independent, but if want own language Ubuntu help topics, need translating another way for example with Ubuntu specific Unity documentation. Of course, this offtopic problem is little different, but with translators work related the result is equals. This is good or not? I don't no, but resulting more work.
Look this problem related link with detailed:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2011-April/004675.html

Coming back for upstream or downstream way fixes for Orca:
Another interesting result for this future downstream modification, the user will be seeing different working method for Orca main window with distribution to distribution. Seeing different default button for main window with Ubuntu, and seeing different working method for example with Arch Linux, Debian, or Opensuse. This is difficulting future the education.

And last, looking an interesting future issue with I think will be happening, and showing disadwantage with downstream modification: For example, if accessibility profiles Unity will be default for Ocelot, how can possible changing the tutorial messages for Orca, A downstream patch? Upstream level perhaps need doing change for tutorial messages if have accessible way using with GNOME Shell, I not see yet GNOME3. Interesting question, how can possible determining Orca upstream level what type environment using the visual impaired Orca user: GNOME Shell of GNOME3, GNOME3 for fallback mode, or perhaps Unity for only Ubuntu, or classic GNOME session for oldest distributions? For example in Ubuntu Ocelot possible choosing the GNOME Shell and GNOME3, or only possible choosing Unity and Unity2d? Now I not see full clear. Prewious, GNOME based distributions this main upstream level Orca feature implementation is easy, because equals compatible GNOME desktop environment have, with equals basic keystrokes. Jon implemented this feature wonderful for Orca since 2008 if I remember right, and this feature is a very useful function for beginner users. But now, Ubuntu have Unity, and Classic GNOME session (in Natty). In Ocelot, now we don't known what GNOME version will be have, but 99% absolute sure not will be have the classic GNOME session if not happening a drastical problem. If anybody make a downstream patch with tutorial messages change related and want marking translation the tutorial messages (this is of course need to provide localization support for tutorial messages), this modification resulting translators two place need translating Orca related messages, similar with Natty gnome-orca package added current selected desktop environment announce related patch.

Not simplest handling now downstream Ubuntu specific patch implemented features with upstream level, if possible absolute sure identifying the desktop environment differences?

Attila