Re: [orca-list] Pondering a new email client.

Hi, Steve:

I realize this is an old email that I'm responding to. Once again, I'm
way behind reading my Orca and Speakup folders.

Steve Holmes writes:
Actually, I use mutt with IMAP and can navigate the various
subfolders nicely without any trouble.  At this time, I use separate
.muttrc files for each account (I have two of them.) and use aliases
to start each instance of mutt.  There may be an easier way to do
this but I just haven't bothered yet to figure that out.  One thing
about doing it this way, I can get to my mail folders on any box
that connects to the IMAP server.

I have a somewhat different solution to this that I absolutely love.

I use fetchmail  over ssh to slirp from my various imap accounts. Fetchmail can do
that just fine.

Next, my .procmailrc sorts into my selected folders. I have 9 of them. I
also use procmail to kill most of my spam, duplicates emails, and a few
other little nicities like playing a particular sound when email from a
certain someone arrives in my inbox. Not everyone gets a sound--but
that's my editable procmail rule. I get to pick what sound is played.
Works wellto identify things like mail from the boss vs. mail from my
sweetie.

Next, and this is the key piece in my setup, imho, I launch multiple
sessions of mut, 9 of them to be precise, useing a special .screenrc
config file. So, I have 9 screen terminals of mut sitting on Alt+F1.
Inbox is Ctrl-A 1; Orca and Speakup mail are Ctrl-A 4; my standards work
at the Linux Foundation and the W3C is Ctrl-A 9, my outbox (of sent
messages) is Ctrl-A 2, etc.

I used to do this on my server, which meant I could access the screen
session on any machine from which I could ssh. I could easily go back to
doing that, but I'm finding it easier to use my laptop these days. And,
if truth be told, I can ssh into my laptop and access the screen session
with those 9 muts very easily as well, should I need to do that.

I have used mutt inside a gnome terminal before and one nice thing
when doing this is I can use flat review to read through a message
and if I end up on a link, I can right click it and pick 'open link'
and have it pop me right into Firefox.  That works great as long as
the URL doesn't slop over to the next line.

Actually, you can also launch Firefox from within mutt on the console.
That requires the following lines in your .mailcap. Firefox should
already be running. I haven't succeede at auto starting Firefox if it's
not running. Here's the .mailcap snipet:

#Experimental gui integration 20080609
text/html; sh ~/bin/push2ff %s ; 'test= pidof firefox '
# # If I'm not running firefox but I am running X, start firefox on the
# object
#text/html;      sh ~/bin/runff file:///%s; 'test= who |grep -q tty11 '
#end of gui alternatives

I presume something similar could be done to launch OO for various
wordprocessor and spreadsheet files. I don't do that. Rather, I
translate them to text and read the attachments that way--all automated,
of course, via mailcap.

hth

Janina