Re: [orca-list] Does Orca support Flash content?

Hello,
Yes I agree with that general comment on flash content not being supported by orca. There are a few things I would like to note though: 1. There is some flash content you can get limited use out of, eg. the BBC iplayer service is possible to listen to programmes again but you do have a few extra hoops to jump through as you rely on the auto-start feature for the stream. In short, with the iplayer example you must launch the stream from the program website rather than the page the iplayer listing page takes you to. As a side note though, the iplayer example has a better work around, there are some scripts called get-iplayer (debian has a package in its repository) which will download the programme stream and put it in a MP3 file which you can play in the player of your choice. 2. On the question of if its possible for flash content to be accessible, well the answer is yes but it will require developers of flash plugins to make them accessible (I don't know about HTML5). The main plugin we think of for flash is the adobe one, but adobe don't seem to make there products accessible on any other platform other than windows. May be orca users and Mac voiceover users should get together here and push adobe for it, but I don't know what sort of success that would bring. An alternative may be to try and work with one of the opensource flash plugin groups (eg. swfdev or gnash), and we may be able to do more than just apply pressure as we have access to the source code to propose patches. 3. Could we control web developers, well may be not quite control but there may be some who could be influenced. There may be some who actually feel they want there content accessible and have read the information about adobe being accessible on windows but hadn't realised what the situation is on Linux/unix/Mac (essentially anything but windows). Then there are those who either would find it embarrassing or would have legal issues about their content not being accessible who may like to know what the situation is for non-windows users. Does anyone have any figures on what sort of proportion of blind users use platforms other than windows?

I personally would suggest going down the route of working with one of the opensource developers like swfdec or gnash as that won't build up the image of us whinging and accessibility being a problem one has to deal with (for those who have a spare moment may be this video linked to from the OSI website will explain more http://blip.tv/file/1137040).

Michael Whapples