Re: [orca-list] Still issues with Speechdispatcher on Arch

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 01:44:48AM +0200, Christian wrote:
Hi,
Sorry for being off topic, but I am not able to get it working.
I have now started speechd in /etc.rc.conf and I can run spd-say as root but not as a normal user. It
cannot connect to speech dispatcher.
What is wrong here?

Add gdm and any other normal users who will be using speech-dispatcher
to the speechd group.  Either edit /etc/group and stick the users on
the end of the line for speechd or do like the following:
groupmems -a <user-name> -g speechd
do this for each user you want added to speechd.  The user speechd
should already be added to the audio group; the setup script does
that.  I don't think the users need to be explicitly added to the
audio group unless you want to play other audio files.  But that would
be for another topic entirely.

Sorry for the trouble you're running into here.  I need to write up a
post doc list of steps that one would have to do to get this all
working.  Thanks for being the ginnipig for me <smile>.