[orca-list] speech went garbled again

after the hard drive churned around while upgrading with network manager, i pressed ctrl when it had finished churning and i thought i was going to get english speech but it went garbled again. i attempted to type my password as i have my system on default settings where it locks if you have just left it for a while. i attempted to use tab to hear what was on the screen but orca didn't make sense so i just hit enter a few times and it ended up rebooting my pc. it looks like i have maverick from version information i have seen but for some reason i still have f-spot in the graphics menue although i read that this was replaced by shotwell. i have seen the live cd for maverick and that doesn't appear to have f-spot under the graphics menu so i don't know if the upgrade keeps it or if i am running a mixture of the two versions maverick and lucid because of not hearing things about replacing grub and something about keep from information i have read about using update manager because of the weird speech during the updating and replacing of packages.