Re: [orca-list] Getting Environments to Orca

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:26:12AM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
Have you tried using the .profile or .bashrc files in the GDM home
directory (normally /var/lib/gdm/)? I can't precisely remember which
of these files is sourced when but I would have thought one of these
would be the correct place to set environment variables.

No because the default shell for gdm is /bin/nologin or something like
that.  As it stands, the script that actually runs gdm-binary sees the
environment variable because it sources /etc/profile, which inturn,
sources all files contained in /etc/profile.d.  So at the time
gdm-binary is launched, the environment variables in question are
known.  I verified that with an echo statement I stuck in there for a
test.  It's just by the time Orca is launched, that information is not
available to it unless I insert the variable into the /usr/bin/orca
shell script.  Anyway, that's my issue now.

I am a little surprised you can't configure this setting in
speech-dispatcher's configuration files.

When a client like spd-say or gnome/orca, or whatever else wishes to
connect with the currently running speech dispatcher, it can only do
so through either an internet socket with a given I/P address or
through a unix socket which is a file and is generally more secure
than the other.  It's a real client / server situation and config
files are only read by the server in this situation.  When a client
autospawns speech-dispatcher, then it can pull in configuration files
like usual.

Some of us are just trying to set up speech dispatcher so it will run
as a system service and not have to have multiple occurences running
among other advantages.