Re: [orca-list] updating broke something

Thanks,
Between when you posted on Saturday and I checked my e-mail again on Sunday, they had closed the bug-report as fixed.  I did another upgrade with packman and everything's working well now.

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:22:44 +0100
From: mwhapples aim com
To: aerospace1028 hotmail com
CC: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Re: [orca-list] updating broke something

Hello,
Please see the archlinux bug https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21139 and feel free to add your own comments and votes to push this correction on (possibly the time it took for the bug to be updated to be assigned, etc) it probably could have been fixed. I have posted a proposed fixed PKGBUILD, there really seems to be little reason why a corrected package cannot be built.

If you want to just get your system going then just install pyxdg with pacman (IE. pacman -S pyxdg), but please still add comments to the bug report as the package should be fixed and so others won't hit the same issue.

Michael Whapples
On -10/01/37 20:59, aerospace1028 hotmail com wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:05:25 -0700
>From: Steve Holmes <steve holmes88 gmail com>
>To: orca-list gnome org
>Subject: Re: [orca-list] updating broke something
>
>I've been maintaining an Arch system here all along and even with the
>latest updates of speakup and espeak and all, I haven't had any
>problems with Orca. I've been using git versions of Orca however, and
>I don't know if perhaps there is something wrong with the production
>version of Orca - doubt it though. The PKGBUILD script for Orca is
>pretty strate forward. I've never seen the slew of errors you spoke
>of. How are launching your X session? Are using gdm to login or do
>you do a 'startx' from a normal user from the text console?

I use GDM.  I load it automatically at startup with the MODULES listing in something like /etc/rc.conf.

I managed to find how to get at my thumbdrive.  Here's the output fro orca -v in tty1;

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)

** (orca:1826): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'WnckWindowState' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (orca:1826): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'WnckWindowActions' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (orca:1826): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'WnckWindowMoveResizeMask' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 56, in <module>
    import mouse_review
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orca/mouse_review.py", line 43, in <module>
    import speech
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orca/speech.py", line 40, in <module>
    import settings
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/orca/settings.py", line 867, in <module>
    from xdg.BaseDirectory import xdg_data_home
ImportError: No module named xdg.BaseDirectory

the"gtype" errors I remember from earlier versions.  What's the xdg.BaseDirectory thing about?

Now that I think I can copy relevant information to my thumbdrive, where else should I be looking to track down the root cause?  I didn't see anything important when I ran packman, and there are no warnings or error messages in pacman.conf; I also checked out dmesg, but didn't find anything that looked useful.

Any ideas?