[orca-list] problems starting the emacspeak speech server

I'm having trouble starting the emacspeak "outloud" speech server on
my new orca installation.  This is somewhat odd since it's working
fine on my other machine.   Despite changing things in
orca-customizations.py or usersettings.py I can't convince orca to
look for the outloud speech server other than in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers
which is the default in espeechfactory.py.
orca -t
doesn't give me a choice of speech servers and the
orca.speech.test()
function lists the potential factories but only seems to find a
potential server for gnomespeechfactory.
Making a sym-link from /usr/share/.../outloud to the location of my
32-outloud emacspeak server means that
orca.speech.test()
now finds it but orca -t still doesn't, and of course overwrites the
usersettings.py (as it should).
Has someone solved the problem of where to customize class variables
like orca.espeechfactory.SpeechServer.location so that they get
assigned when the speechserver object is initiated?
I'm a bit embarrassed about this since it should be a case of cloning
a working approach to a new machine.
If anyone else has solved this please let me know, otherwise I'll pass
on the info when I solve it.
thanks in advance
Peter

--