Re: [orca-list] Can we ix the link speech pauses already?

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:01:21PM -0600, Nolan Darilek wrote:
Hey folks.

Man this is an infuriating bug. Sometimes I have to wait for upwards
of a minute for Orca to process a long batch of links in continuous
read. I can't believe this isn't bothering anyone else as much as it
does me, but I lose so much of my day while Orca twiddles its
virtual thumbs doing gods know what. And it's not like I can stop
Orca from reading these links once it starts, as it seems like you
can only stop speech if it's actually speaking, so I have to play a
game of whack-a-mole and pound control as soon as speech starts in
order to keep the long list of links from being trotted out.

I know that we thought we had a solution at one point, then the
OpenTTS/SD fork madness swallowed the change. I just have a hard
time believing that this is where the investigation ends. Can we
look through commits made to OpenTTS in mid-May and see if one may
have changed something?

Or can someone with more experience with such things than I, I
dunno, profile this code or something? I know we don't know why this
is happening, but it isn't as if there's no way to find out.

well, it looks like what ever the problem is its in orca somewhere.  I
made a test page with 50 links in a row and had orca read it.  Heres
some of the output of top while that was going on.

 3964 tbsaunde  20   0  298m  29m 4172 S   56  1.5  18:54.71 python
 4088 tbsaunde  20   0  559m 182m  16m R   51  9.2  22:28.61 firefox-bin
 3626 tbsaunde  20   0  133m 4144 2264 S    6  0.2   1:36.60 at-spi-registry
24902 root      20   0  139m 4612 2748 S    3  0.2   0:50.60 sd_espeak
25672 tbsaunde  20   0 19064 1380 1000 R    1  0.1   0:00.05 top
22432 root      20   0 98.3m 1712  836 S    0  0.1   0:28.14 speech-dispatch
    1 root      20   0  8352  656  540 S    0  0.0   0:01.36 init

 From this the activity of speech dispatcher sd_espeak looks reasonable,
 this is a highlevel look so it may well be missing something, but it
 doesn't look like there is a problem there.  On the other hand python
 and firefox are burning up a lot of cycles, and at-spi-registryd is
 using a bit more than I think it usually does.  Since I have no
 experience profiling python or other wise find hotspots in it someone
 else with that knowledge will have to start looking at what's going on
 here.

 Trev

I'm sorry that all I can do is cheerlead, but my area is Android
accessibility and  high-level languages, not C and low-level stuff,
so unless someone tells me how to get useful profiling information
I'm not of much help. And I've got a lot to do contributing to that
particular house of cards.

But I find it hard to believe that we have to wait for a lightning
bolt of inspiration to strike here. Has anyone profiled SD/Orca
reading links continuously and figured out what's going on? Or is
there a known solution in the pipeline?

This message brought to you by my netbook, on which this bug is even
*more* painful than it is on my dual-core desktop with 4G of RAM.

Thanks.