Re: [orca-list] VOIP programs that work well with Orca

This question comes up every few weeks. Perhaps we need a FAQ update on
it.

I use linphone. I find it fully accessible on the gui desktop with Orca.
I also find it fully accessible on the Linux console with Speakup.

One piece of advice--I strongly suggest you not try to use your case mic
and speaker. Don't try to hold a telephone conversation using the same
alsa device that you're using for speech with your screen reader.
Instead, get a quality headset. I use a Sennheiser PC166. Not cheap, but
I've never regretted the purchase, and alsa just brings it up over USB.
I did configure it to always take the same alsa device designation via
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf, just so my scripts and rc files could be
reliable, of course.

Janina

Keith Hinton writes:
Hi. I'm curious what works well with Orca for Voice over IP
communications in the Gnome desktop?
I'm trying to figure out what I can use if anything to make it work
effectively. Any suggestions or ideas are recommended. Until Skype
becomes fully accessible, I need to find something. I don't care if
it's for Ventrilo,  etc.
Thanks!

--
Regards, --Keith