Re: [orca-list] VOIP programs that work well with Orca

This question comes up every few weeks. Perhaps we need a FAQ update on

I use linphone. I find it fully accessible on the gui desktop with Orca.
I also find it fully accessible on the Linux console with Speakup.

One piece of advice--I strongly suggest you not try to use your case mic
and speaker. Don't try to hold a telephone conversation using the same
alsa device that you're using for speech with your screen reader.
Instead, get a quality headset. I use a Sennheiser PC166. Not cheap, but
I've never regretted the purchase, and alsa just brings it up over USB.
I did configure it to always take the same alsa device designation via
/etc/modprobe.d/local.conf, just so my scripts and rc files could be
reliable, of course.

Keith Hinton writes:
Hi. I'm curious what works well with Orca for Voice over IP
communications in the Gnome desktop?
I'm trying to figure out what I can use if anything to make it work
effectively. Any suggestions or ideas are recommended. Until Skype
becomes fully accessible, I need to find something. I don't care if
it's for Ventrilo,  etc.

Regards, --Keith
Skype: skypedude1234
MSN Messenger: keithint37 hotmail com
Yahoo/AIM/Twitter: keithint1234
orca-list mailing list
orca-list gnome org
Visit for more information on Orca.
The manual is at
The FAQ is at
Netiquette Guidelines are at
Log bugs and feature requests at
Find out how to help at

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
                sip:janina asterisk rednote net

Chair, Open Accessibility       janina a11y org
Linux Foundation

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)