Re: [orca-list] What happened to solaris?

bn: Within the OTN License agreement you'll find:

bn: LICENSE RIGHTS
Except for any included software package or file that is licensed to you by Oracle under different license
terms, we grant you a perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement), nonexclusive,
nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs only for the purpose of developing, testing,
prototyping and demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose.

cdh: I seem to notice that the word "distributing" is missing from the list of things covered by the license.

cdh: I sent the links off to the others at FSF/GNU who will probably have a better answer regarding the
restrictions that the license has on your rights. My fear is that well meaning people can get in serious
trouble by trying to "do the right thing." and the Oracle legal team seems like it doesn't take prisoners.

cdh: Of course, as some of the packages in Open Solaris are covered by GPL 2, GPL 3, Apache 2 and MIT, it may
be a violation of these licenses for Oracle to include these packages with their new closed system depending
upon how the packages communicate with each other. If any component links directly with GPL 3, for instance,
they've either got to replace the GPL 3 portion or put the GPL 3 license on the code which links to it.

cdh: GPL 2 and Apache 2 can make for some seriously interesting conditions that may demonstrate that Oracle
is violating the free software licenses.

cdh: There is a movement on to take on companies who use FLOSS programs in packages and hardware they sell
but violate the GPL and other licenses that cover the work they are selling. I'm not sure but I think there
are some projects out raising money to build a war chest to take these companies to task for breaking the law.

cdh: All we are saying is give freedom a chance...