Re: [orca-list] Use of non-speech sounds for navigation...

I am starting to think somewhere to draw together what people seem to think would be useful.

One theme running through up to now seems to be, could be useful for encountering or entering and leaving elements/controls.

I initially said internet only as orca maintains the layout of the page so you may be on a line with an edit box, link or button but may not actually be in/on that element. I personally don't feel quite the same need when using GTK applications as orca only announces the control when you are in it (focus mode you tab around and so always end up on a control).

I could also imagine may be line breaks being useful (may be in both focus tracking and flat review), but there doesn't seem to be such a strong feeling for that. I've just realised speakup uses beeps for end of lines and top and bottom boundaries, and I hadn't really noticed although I make use of them.

I think that speakup example is a good example of them being done well. They shouldn't intrude into the users experience where they are noticed, if done well one shouldn't be aware they are making use of it (generally why good software gets little thanks, the user forgets they're using it and concentrates on the task they need to do).

Michael Whapples