Re: [orca-list] Orca and Arch again

I agree about working with upstream projects.  Let's take Firefox 3.6
as an example.  FF 3.6 basically broke structural navigation due to a
massive caret positioning rewrite.  It's more than just one bug, too,
but we've got to take them on one at a time.  FF3.6 is now shipping in
Ubuntu Lucid.  I proposed a patch several weeks ago.  I'm getting
useful feedback, like how the patch will be cleaner if I reduce the
number of intermediate variables, and that I haven't declared the type
of a dummy variable passed to a call quite right.  I also broke two
regressions, which I have to track down and either fix the
regressions, or the bug in my patch.  Once all this is taken care of,
I'll need to write a new regression that determines when the old bug
is present, and verifies when it's been fixed.  Once all this is done,
my patch will most likely be incorporated in the 3.7, or maybe even
the 3.8 branch.  Ubuntu Lucid users who will likely stick with this
release for 2 years may never see it from Mozilla.  Also, this is just
the first patch, and I'm anticipating several will be needed.  I will
work with Mozilla, and we will get this included.

On the other hand, Vinux users already have a patched version of
Firefox, because it works better, even though two regressions fail.
With the first patch in place, user's have already reported the next
most important bugs.  Orca search is broken, both in Ubuntu Lucid, and
still in Vinux.  It's a focus/caret problem again.  The word is found,
but the caret and focus don't move.  By getting it out to users now,
I'm able to progress far more quickly.  I'm confident I can get
Firefox working pretty well with Orca within one to two months.
Without the Vinux guys to help with testing, it would not be possible.
 I will feed any improvements as quickly as I can to Mozilla.

In the meantime, the rest of the blind community has frozen
development with Firefox.  Most are still using 3.5.  Orca has trouble
because settings for 3.6 are different than 3.5.  All the old open
bugs in 3.5 filed by Orca are just sitting there, without progress.
Basically, this sucks big time.  However, the Vinux community will be
able to move forward, quickly with Orca, and then feed all that back
upstream.

Bill