Re: [orca-list] Calling all braille users. I need your opinions.

Hey all.

To follow up on this:

You know actually John it would be good if the messages were shortened for
someone like me who has a 20-cell so that you do not use up all braille real
estate on the 20 and 40-cells.

If we make the message too short, we might be failing to include
important information for braille-only users. So what shall we do about
it folks?

I just committed flash messages for command confirmation into Orca,
e.g.

* Enabling/Disabling speech
* Speak cell/Speak row
* Announce chat room name/Don't announce chat room name
* Punctuation level set to foo
* And so on, and so on

Note that I didn't yet do the Orca+F information. That was intentional.

Also note that I did not shorten any of these messages. And some are
rather lengthy, both in speech and in braille. It should help you get a
feel for what you like and don't like, from which we will tweak so that
everyone has what they like and need.

Some thoughts:

1. I think we need an option to flash braille the very same thing being
spoken.

2. I think we need an option to have shorter braille messages (e.g. with
cycling through the punctuation levels).

3. I think we need an option to have shorter speech messages. If I'm a
power-user, I know what command I just pressed. Just get to the point
Orca.

4. Orca has speech and braille "verbosity" levels. I do not know if
shorter speech and braille flash messages should correspond to those
settings (i.e. we don't introduce new settings for flash messages) or if
they should be independent options (i.e. we do introduce new settings
for flash messages).

Opinions on the above? What else can we do to make this braille support
better?

As for all of the other braille-doesn't-match-speech issues, I'm still
working on that.

Take care.
--joanie