Re: [orca-list] orca and ubuntu 10.04 desktop

Hi Dave
I'm running 10.04 though I did an upgrade not a fresh install. I suspect
that the login screen speaks because you chose the accessible install.
While there's no GUI option for this (and there should be one in
gdmsetup) it can easily be enabled on 10.04 by setting two gconf
variables for the gdm user. Since these same gconf variables are used to
launch Orca automatically and enable accessibility in your user profile,
I suspect that they were set by the accessible install for gdm as well.
I got voxin working by compiling the sd_ibmtts module myself as I don't
know if Voxin has released updated speech drivers to match the speech
dispatcher installation in 10.04. I can send you the binary if you're
not comfortable compiling it yourself.
Finally, the volume control has been moved into the indicator applet.
This is spoken as "menu bar" directly before the clock. Left or right
arrow to enter the various menus in this applet. However, due to a focus
issue in gnome-panel itself (needs fixed upstream) you will have to pull
up a context menu (shift+f10 or context key on your keyboard) and then
escape out of it when you're done with the applet to unlock focus from
the panel. It might be easier, for now, to just select
system/preferences/sound from the main menu. There are volume sliders in
the sound preferences dialog that accomplish the same thing. Also, if
you have volume keys on your keyboard they should work as well.
hth