Re: [orca-list] Pulse audio on Arch Linux?

I have to be honest that I have never found a need for pulseaudio and I haven't really seen a configuration which would work well for me. As for improving the responsiveness of the audio, could it do that as it still uses the same sound drivers? May be it accesses ALSA more efficiently than some applications would, but then you have the extra layer for audio to be processed through.

The one system I have tried on ArchLinux when I have had issue with ALSA (NOTE: pulseaudio couldn't solve the issue as it doesn't change the actual driver and it was to do with interacting with the hardware) was OSS4. Once you get OSS4 configured correctly it seems to work well but you do have the issue that most applications on linux are compiled by default for ALSA. Also note that I refer to OSS4, an earlier version of OSS was previously included in the kernel but that did suffer some issues but OSS4 seems to have solved them.

To use OSS4 I have found that the output for espeak doesn't work well with it, a solution is to use speech-dispatcher (find it in AUR). If you really don't want to use speech-dispatcher then I think festival may work fine but I haven't really tested it (ViaVoice/voxin/ttsynth while working with OSS4 to initial impressions, I later found was clipping a bit from the end of the audio, that's for a debian system).

The one thing I am uncertain of is whether you will loose speech if only using software speech output. I used speakup with an apollo synth and a Braille display to play it safe. If you don't have access to either of those pieces of hardware then SSH from another computer might be an option.

There is a page on the Arch wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org which discusses installing OSS4 and configuring the system. Sorry for no direct link, go to table of contents, sound and then opensound system (I think that is what its called, it may be OSS or OSS4).

Michael Whapples