Re: [orca-list] date and time keybindings

Michael Whapples <mwhapples aim com> wrote:

Now are we trying to win Windows users, I would say no we shouldn't
we're not here to compete with it but just to provide an alternative
(Interesting thought/question: Is a clone of X an alternative to X).
People should be coming to Linux because they want Linux not because
they want a free screen reader, as Isaac noted there are free screen
readers for windows and those may suit them better.

I agree. http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm is a good article on the
subject.

Of course, where other screen readers have made good choices in their
behaviour and defaults, and there isn't a clearly superior alternative, thenit
is appropriate to follow their example, unless of course doing so would raise
patent or trademark issues.

Unfortunately, there has been patent litigation involving proprietary screen
reader vendors in the past; we certainly don't want free software to be
threatened by potential claims, if and when proprietary vendors consider
themselves under threat from the free competition. for this reason, not
copying features from proprietary products - especially where these may give
rise to disputes - would be a good strategy to follow, especially if Orca can
do better by offering a superior design.