Re: [orca-list] Has anyone heard of this alternative?

I can understand the desire to have all efforts focused on a single screen reader, but I suspect that we're better off in the long run if two or more are in development.  You can never assume that a screen reader will keep up with the times, any more than you can assume it about other software.

Al

From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Storm Dragon
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 10:25 AM
To: Orca-list
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Has anyone heard of this alternative?

Hi,
Too bad we can't convence them to spend development resources on Orca. Orca is far enough along to be used daily, it is familiar, works well for the most part, and is part of Gnome. Other screen reader alternatives are nice I suppose, but it would be greate to have a single reader that can rival anything out there for any OS. While Orca's features out rank all other screen readers, it could use a speed boost and it needs webkit access. Also, it has to be able to keep up with new technology, so needs constant development. So, it would be great to get everyone on the same page, especially those with the ability to help financially. That is even more important now after the betrayals of a certain company with whose name I shall not defile this message.
Storm

--
Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/stormdragon2976