To: "Orca-list" <Orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:43 AM
Subject: [orca-list] Has anyone heard of this alternative?

Hello,
I have just stumbled over this while trying to find contact details for
someone who I slightly unexpectedly found would be giving a workshop in
the same slot as I will be giving a workshop. OK, the thing of interest
is another screen reader for Linux, a quick look at the page indicates
its based on LSR, have a look for yourselves at http://sue.sf.net.

It raises some interesting points. Firstly its had funding from some
part of the German government (I think). With the lack of support for
full time developers for orca (I think we all know what I am getting at
but I don't want us to get too much into what has been done), and having
seen some of the comments in response to some of the blog postings,
could we learn from SUE, could and should governments/organisations who
are meant to help the blind do more?

The other thing is, as resources in this area seem limited, while choice
might be nice (one great solution is better than lots of incomplete
projects), should we try and combine the efforts of these various groups?

A different note again, has anyone tried SUE, how well does it work? I
remember LSR, while possibly powerful, I felt possibly less well focused
on the user experience as it seemed very general (I think I heard stuff
saying it might be possible to use LSR as more than a screen reader, eg.
to give people reminders to do things).

Michael Whapples