[orca-list] orca speech in Ubuntu 9.10

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to get Ubuntu 9.10 installed using speech during the
install and having orca come up talking on login. This is in a vmware
virtual machine as i'm testing it out, I do not believe this issue is
related to virtual machines.
I started the install, hit enter on language, then got the menu of
options, down arrowed once to install, f5 for accessibility menu, then
enter twice. After a while the install started, sighted assistance
confirmed this, but no speech. At no time during the install did it
talk. When i logged in i started orca, output speech was stuttering
and choppy. I set the orca options, automatically logged out and
relogged in. Orca did not speak even though it's preferences window
came up.
I then hit google and learned this has something to do with pulseaudio
most likely and this has been a long standing issue since 9.04, i
didn't see any resolutions.
If anyone has any fix or additional information i'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Dave.