Re: [orca-list] New Member

On 03/13/2010 10:26 PM, trev saunders gmail com wrote:
So I'm curious what people like about arch especially over gentoo?

I never tried Gentoo but if I wanted to ever build a linux system completely, I think I wold rather try
something like Linux from Scratch or something.  But I grew up on Slackware, so to speak and Arch Linux has
some similarities to Slackware but yet the package dependency tracking and control is much better.  Plus
there are a lot more binary packages available then with Slackware and most of all, Gnome is available for
Arch - not Slackware.  You mentioned in your message that Arch, being dependent on binary packages would make
it seem to be more limitted as to what one can do with the system.  The other package distros would seem more
restrictive to me like Debian, Ubuntu or Fedorah, etc.  Actually, Arch's package build system is so cool and
fairly easy to use and build new scripts that it would be very easy to create custom packages for the Arch
environment or even customize Arch packages.

Orca works very well on Arch Linux by the way, to keep things on topic here.:)