[orca-list] linux and braille

I screwed up my Ubuntu system trying to look at the latest Maverick by
trying to do an upgrade from Lucid so I am now re-installing Lucid on my
laptop.
I don't yet have a USB to Serial adapter to be able to use Ubuntu with
Braille with my Braillenote Mpower but if I configure Orca to support
Braille, will this affect me being able to Use Braille when I eventually
get my Braillenote connected if I have enabled Braille before I connect
my Braillenote?
Obviously I won't have Braille support until my Mpower is attached
through a USB to Serial adapter but could the lack of a Braille Display
being connected affect me being able to use Braille once I have
purchased an adapter to be able to connect the Mpower to the laptop if I
have set Orca Preferences to use Braille but installed without the
Braillenote being connected?