[orca-list] Clarifying Script Association

I have a question with the new script structure put in place a while
back.

For background, I just got Thunderbird upgraded by ArchLinux to
version 3.1 and it is code named 'Lanikai'.  In the past, we always
had to go into settings.py and update the strings which would
associate a script with the application name.  Well here, Lanikai does
not associate with Thunderbird because it isn't in settings.py; that's
clear enough to me.  But I notice that it is associated with gecko.py
because of an association through toolkig; make sense? When I dump
script information with Orca, it shows this to me.  When does Orca
know when to use the toolkit as a linkage instead of settings.py?
Should we still update settings.py with 'Lanikai'? My other question
is there's a script settup for Thunderbird but I also see Gecko out
there too.  Which script should we be using for these Mozilla mail
clients which can't make up their mind what to be called internally?