Re: [orca-list] Java applications with Orca?

Both java access bridge and java atk wrapper work well for accessibility. Now there is one problem I found with the java atk wrapper when I tried it on opensolaris, it seems like non-alphanumeric keys don't get reported to orca correctly and so may prevent entering certain characters (eg. equals) unless you use the orca bypass key first. The java access bridge had a work around for this and I believe in the short term at least the java atk wrapper will get a similar fix.

A more general java issue you may want to be aware of, the sun JVM in most cases won't use ALSA, I think its to do with whether the sound card supports hardware mixing although ALSA can do software mixing. Anyway the result is that you probably want to start java applications which will use sound with the OSS compatibility system (eg. for me with ALSA I neede to use the aoss script).

The openJDK6 has an option of getting it to output to pulseaudio, but I don't know how well that works as I never got pulseaudio working as I want and felt ALSA was a much better solution.

Michael Whapples