From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Luke Yelavich
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:59 PM
To: Bill Cox
Cc: vinux-development googlegroups com; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] [ANNOUNCE] libao (new audio driver for speechd
including working pulseaudio support).

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 04:18:46AM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
I've rewritten the speech-dispatcher pulseaudio driver, based on Lukes
libio driver and what I saw in the ao source.  My new pulseaudio
driver is only 177 lines, or about 1/10th of the old one.  It uses the
pulseaudio "simple" interface, just like libao.

I finally got a chance to test this, and for me, it performs dreadfully,
with massive massive delays when attempt to review the screen,arros through
text in the terminal/gedit etc. I am using espeak with portaudio, and its
not the latest espeak, so I'll try with pulse as the backend, and the latest
espeak, but I don't think they'd make much of a difference, but I'll report
back my findings.

There is a discussion that is under way on the speech-dispatcher list about
the speech-dispatcher pulseaudio support, so I suggest all interested
parties subscribe to the speech[-dispatcher list, and lsiten/post as they
wish if they have anything to raise. It is a technical discussion, so this
is not for the faint of heart, or those new to speech/audio on Linux.

Luke