Re: [orca-list] [ANNOUNCE] libao (new audio driver for speechd including working pulseaudio support).

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 04:18:46AM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
I've rewritten the speech-dispatcher pulseaudio driver, based on Lukes
libio driver and what I saw in the ao source.  My new pulseaudio
driver is only 177 lines, or about 1/10th of the old one.  It uses the
pulseaudio "simple" interface, just like libao.

I finally got a chance to test this, and for me, it performs dreadfully, with massive massive delays when
attempt to review the screen,arros through text in the terminal/gedit etc. I am using espeak with portaudio,
and its not the latest espeak, so I'll try with pulse as the backend, and the latest espeak, but I don't
think they'd make much of a difference, but I'll report back my findings.

There is a discussion that is under way on the speech-dispatcher list about the speech-dispatcher pulseaudio
support, so I suggest all interested parties subscribe to the speech[-dispatcher list, and lsiten/post as
they wish if they have anything to raise. It is a technical discussion, so this is not for the faint of
heart, or those new to speech/audio on Linux.

Luke