Re: [orca-list] broken accesibility (was help building at-spi)

That environment sounds so old and out of date! If I had half those
experiences, I would consider completely re-installing the system with
a more current distro.  Last year I had similar problems, not with
being so out of date but I messed with Debian Unstable and didn't know
what I was doing when I tried down grading some packages.  I ended up
being unable to start X, let alone any other parts of gnome.  I then
decided it would be easier to just start over and of course make sure
all my valuable data was backed up.

I have to say with all those experiences and even a busted Debian
Unstable, Speakup rolled along in the console beautifully and didn't
skip a beat.  That's another reason I value having console access;
Xwindows can break just like the other Windows we learn to know and
hate but the text console running a Speakup modified kernel or loaded
modules is solid as a rock!