[orca-list] A proposal to get involved...

Hi,

I am new to the mailing list - but not to Orca or the open source movement. Some of my team members have been following the traffic, and they alerted me about some unfortunate developments wrt Orca, and hence thought of coming online directly.

At CDAC Mumbai (old NCST, for those who may remember), we are working in the area of accessibility. We have been interested in this for a while. We built a predictive engine called Anumaan, now available as open source. We have worked with Gnome Accessibility framework, and are now looking at the D-bus architecture. We are not restricting to Visual problems - but looking at wider scope covering cognitive and other physical issues. Orca itself is a direct focus in the group. We have done some significant analysis (independently) from the accessibility perspective, trying to take it beyond being just a 'screen reader'. This has given us a list of todos for Orca. We are looking at ways on how to take this forward. As of now, we are not that familiar with the Orca code base - but that is something ahead in the path for us anyway. In terms of resources, of course, what we have is limited. But it is part of a government funded project, and hence committed. We see an involvement with Orca at least for the next couple of years -- most likely further.

I would be happy to provide more information and answer any questions you may have. The main purpose of this note is to say that  I (and my team) would be happy to chip in whatever way to take Orca forward. You are all more experienced and been in the list (and perhaps in the development path) for long. Let us know your thoughts.

- Sasi

--
M Sasikumar, KBCS/ETU/OSS Divisions,  CDAC Mumbai (formerly NCST) - Navi Mumbai campus
*** check me out on twitter as thelittlesasi ***