Re: [orca-list] possibly OT: Oracle takeover

Obviously everyone is shocked by the news and it will be particularly disturbing for Wille who has lost his
source of income and a project he enjoyed working on. It seems very short sighted of Oracle to do this - I do
know someone else who works on accessibility at Oracle and I will contact him to see if he knows anything
more about it etc. I am sure that Willie will found another job in the near future, but there is no guarantee
it will be on accessibility. So in the meantime we need to unite on one strategy to petition Oracle and/or
try to get Willie another Job. So what do you recommend we do Willie? Set up an online partition or e-mail
oracle directly? Please advise. Then there is the question of what happens if Willie isn't able to work on
Orca anymore - we need to discuss as a community what the way forward is, identify possible developers who
have the skill and time to do this. Again maybe Willie has some suggestions?

Finally, although I may be being pessimistic, I think this is yet another demonstration that the 'big
players' do not take accessibility that seriously, and we will always be playing catch-up and fighting with
fancy graphical/audio features introduced in mainstream distributions, and maybe this supports my personal
view that it would be better if all of the developers working ion accessibility worked on producing a VI
distro together rather than all adding small contributions to mainstream projects. But I am not trying to
start any arguments and will support what ever strategy the community decide upon  to the best of my limited
ability.

Anyway can I suggest we start a thread now on the Orca mailing list with the Subject title: Orca -
suggestions for the future!

Finally this would be an ideal opportunity for Canonical to demonstrate they take accessibility seriously by
snapping up Willie as fast as they can!

drbongo