Re: [orca-list] What voice should the word "link" be spoken in?

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:43:33AM -0500, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
One of the things I changed while sorting out the system voice stuff in
Gecko was to have the role "link" spoken in the system voice. The reason
while I did this was the following:

The definition of system voice is "voice which speaks the stuff which
isn't actually text on the screen, including rolenames." The word "link"
is not on the screen, and it is a rolename. Therefore, it seems to me
that it should be spoken in the system voice. I gather from Attila's
message that he disagrees.

If y'all want the role name link to be spoken in the hyperlink voice, I
can certainly do that. Please let me know.

I recall using the hyperlink voice long before the system voice came
along.  In some ways, it almost makes the hyperlink voice to be
unnecessary anymore.  But one application I could use the hyperlink
voice for could be to slow down the speech rate slightly to hear
proper spelling of a URL address.  But now that is nearly impossible
now since I can't find a way to spell out a URL with the newest betas
of Firefox.  The status bar apparently doesn't hold the link details
anymore.

One advantage to having link voices could be to identify a link
without speaking the word Link.  Another use and I can't remember now
if it does this with cursor movement or not but as one reads character
by character, it would be nice to hear the characters in the hyperlink
voice so you know for sure that you are on a link to click.  To take
this notion a bit further, I would rather hear the hyperlink voice
instead of the word link spoken after every single word of a
multi-word link.  Recall that if you navigate the arrow keys word by
word, it will speak link after each word.  I would just soon use the
hyperlink voice in this situation instead of the word link.  The word
link is fine for reading down line by line though.

Hope this all makes sense.