Re: [orca-list] orca and speech-dispatcher

Dne 8.12.2010 16:17, Michael Whapples napsal(a):
1. When orca creates its speech-dispatcher client it could explicitly
set its priority level so making it unaffected by changes in
speech-dispatcher or speechd.conf. This should be very simple to do and
I could easily create a patch in minutes (I guess). If going down this
route what level would be suggested? I think from reading
speech-dispatcher documentation it would probably be message although
important seems to be the current default orca has been designed around.
Setting the level to message would allow only output with priority
important to interrupt orca and would maintain the current behaviour
that multiple outputs from orca would be queued rather than the later
ones interrupting the earlier ones. Speech-dispatcher documentation
indicates important should be used rarely as nothing can interrupt it.

Yes, I believe setting to 'message' is the correct way to go.

2. Orca could make greater use of the priority levels of
speech-dispatcher. This might be a better solution as it would mean that
its output would be considered in importance to other applications
producing speech output. The difficulty would be, is orca designed in
such a way that priorities could be set for each call of speak? How much
work would it be for this to be supported? I imagine it might be quite a
bit of work.

Yes, you are perfectly right. Priorities could be used to simplify orca code, but this needs some hacking and refacroting. Ideally, we would extend the current orca speech API in a way, that other speech backends would have a chance to implement the new extensions as well (to avoid direct dependency on the Speech Dispatcher API throughout Orca code). This is on my TODO list for quite some time now, but the immediate benefit is low and the cost is high. It brings no user visible improvement apart for a few new bugs. On the other hand, it can be done step by step.

Best regards, Tomas