[orca-list] installing Ubuntu help

Hi All,
I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 desktop LTS.
I have a laptop that I am trying to install it to.
I started with the Vinux install, and the partition editor in step 5 of 8
was different than I have used in a Ubuntu 10.4 install I did before.
Usually it offers me the option of installing in another partition along
side of my existing partition, but neither the Vinux or the regular Ubuntu
offers this, it only seems to give me 2 options, one is to use entire disk,
or the other is specify partitions manually (advanced).
But when I go into the second option, it indicates that it will need to
format the disk, and my data will be lost.
I have installed Ubuntu many times since version 7, and even version 10.04
once before, and I did not get these sort of choices, as if the partition
editor has changed.
I am trying it on the regular Ubuntu 10.04 disk, but the install is the same
as in Vinux.
I am afraid of proceeding, for fear of losing my data.
I cannot use a reader as the screen does not work on this laptop, and I
don't have a working VGA monitor to plug into it.
Hope someone here has a suggestion to help install Ubuntu.
Thanks in advance.

Glenn

=======
http://www.pctools.com/