Re: [orca-list] Speech dispatcher character pronounciations

On 18 Aug, Zachary Kline <zkline speedpost net> wrote:

The one irritating thing is that sometimes characters are pronounced
oddly.  The best example I can think of at the moment is the *, for
instance when entering passwords. When typed it is pronounced
asterisk, but when I move over it with the arrow keys or backspace
over it I hear "symbol 25CF"

This is the character code for "Black circle", which is the character
which is used in password fields to replace the password characters.

I don't know whether this should be fixed in Orca, Speech Dispatcher,
or eSpeak.

I can change eSpeak to say "Black circle" or something else, but I've
already released version 1.44 (for Ubuntu Maverick).  What should it
say for other languages?

A change to eSpeak won't fix this for other synthesizers.

Perhaps Orca should realize that this is a hidden password and do
something special?