Re: [orca-list] starting Ubuntu

E.J. Zufelt <lists zufelt ca> wrote:

I have never gotten this to work, or perhaps once, but I am also working in
a virtual machine where the timing is trickier.  It is a major accessibility
failure in my opinion.  I like OS X where F5, or Function F5 always starts
VoiceOver, whether you are installing OS X or using someone else's Mac.

My favourite is the Debian installer: if you have a USB braille display, it is
detected automatically during the boot process and BRLTTY is started so as to
make the installation procedure accessible. (There was a timing bug related to
this which Samuel Thibault was working on, but I don't know whether it has
been fixed yet.)

the point, however, is that no intervention is required; it just boots,
detects the braille display and executes BRLTTY.